Tuesday 28 October 2014

Post Six and Seven:Advanced Tools and Techniques

Task Two
Explain how advanced tools and techniques have been used to create, edit and integrate digital media outcomes. 

I have used different advanced tools and techniques to create, edit and integrate my digital media outcome. In my design i used a variety of advanced tools, in my case i used weight/UV painting, rigging, animating, rendering my character, etc. However, i will only mention two advanced techniques that i used to develop my outcome.

First Advanced Technique
The first advanced technique that I used to create, edit and integrate my digital media outcome is rigging. Rigging is applying a rig which is basically like a skeleton or "armature" to my model so I am able to move its limbs and give it life-like movements. In order to use this advanced technique, the tools I used were the armature, bones, subdividing, extruding and duplicating. The armature allowed me to give my mesh, movement that resembles a robot/human (cyborg) ei. shoot blaster cannons . In order to do this I used another tool called a bone and placed in the center of the torso, of my mesh and then subdividing that bone into three different bones to control each section of its torso. I also used the same technique when doing the left arm and the left leg of my model by subdividing into the relevant amount of bones needed for the limbs to move (for the shoulder, elbow, and wrist). After creating my models torso and one side of limbs, I mirrored the limbs to the opposite side, this meant that the length and volume of the bones on each side of my mesh are equal to achieve perfection.

Second Advanced technique
Another technique that I have used to create, edit and integrate my digital media outcome is animating.The tools that I used for this technique were key frames, pose mode and armature. In order to create my animation I used pose mode. Pose mode allowed to me to move different body parts of my mesh into different key poses.  I made my model perform the walk-cycle by at first (after adding rigging which i mentioned for the first advanced technique) parenting my mesh to my rig so that when I move/rotate a bone, the associated body part will move with that bone kinda like placing the bones inside a human body to make/help it move. Pose Mode is the mode where I am able to move my models body, arms and legs, with this I was able to move it to different positions and then record those positions as key frames to create an animation. This resulted in the finished animation.

Task Three
Discuss why advanced tools and techniques have been used to createedit, and integrate digital media, and how their use has enhanced the outcome.

I created a rig which would work as a skeleton for my mesh. Rigging is an important advanced tool to use in the creation of a model as this is what grants me access to manipulate my models limbs into different positions once I've parented the mesh to the rig so I could then record multiple key frames which would finally produce a movement (in my case kneeling down, shooting cannons, reloading, tumbling, and dying). I then moved my character into different positions and recorded them as key frames, this was done after I had parented my armature to the mesh. I then used the key frames to create an animation, which is a another advanced technique. 

In editing digital media, advanced tools such as rigging allows different movements in the positioning of a models limbs. Using a specific bone in the rig, you can edit the position of any part of your model. This allows for your model to perform an endless amount of poses to create an endless amount of different animations.

Integrating my model was when I used the advanced technique called "Parenting". This meant that taking more than one object and putting them together. Parenting is basically used to put singular/multiple objects known as children under one object that becomes the parent. What this does is when I move, rotate or scale anything to do with the parental object, it also affects the children of that specific object as well. For example when i move the bone in the neck the neck also moves. This gave my character motion.

Task Four
Student can evaluate how the application of advanced tools, techniques affect the quality of digital media outcomes.

In my design I used a variety of tools and techniques however not everyone is capable of using these tools, if we use the available tools to the best of their ability, we will find that making their character will be easier, furthermore we are able to learn to use these techniques from video tutorials and applying them to our own model, this is how we are able to learn the techniques and use the tools by ourselves, if we apply these to our model, we will excel in their digital design, by experience with the tools and techniques, the outcome is determined. For example a student with a great knowledge of creating a 3D model we will excel in creating a character on the other hand a person with little to no experience will not achieve to a high standard because they do not have enough knowledge to apply to their model.

No comments:

Post a Comment